Thursday, September 15, 2011

A not-so-good introduction to the cases.

The fax buzzed signaling our attention. Dr Ajl read the content and passed it on. It was an account from a father that was in police custody and it read something like this.....

"I woke up my baby son this morning at 9am to give him his bottle. At 10am I was finished feeding him. At 11am I got him ready for his baby bath. I had him in the the tub when I realized that I did not have his towel. I left for just 2 minutes to get his towel. In the hall I saw my brother in his bedroom and stop just for a short while. When I got back to the bathroom, I noticed the water had changed. I grabbed my son out and called the nurse that lives upstairs. She told me to do CPR and I did. My son started coughing and breathing again. I called 911 and when the police came they arrested me"

At this point I was extremely suspicious as to what was really going on. First, why would you leave a baby in a bath tub with water to go get a towel?.... Secondly, knowing your baby is in a tub of water, why are you stopping to look at your brother?.... And finally, why would a certified nurse ask you to perform CPR if she is just upstairs? Nothing was adding up. But the equation became more unbalanced as the pictures of the baby followed...

From the pictures, I estimate the baby to be about 2 years old. He was lying in a Burn unit all wrapped up in bandages excluding his face, elbows to finger tips and genitalia. This child had been in very hot water but did not burn his hands??????? Obviously there was more to this story.
Sadly though, this baby was on life support and had a bad prognosis hanging over him. The chances of survival was unlikely...
Up to the time of this blog, we had no knowledge as to the outcome of this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment